Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What is your family all about?

I recently read a blog that had this question as the title. As my children get older and more independent it is a struggle sometimes to keep the family unity together. Tink- my middle love has so fondly named our family the Dugganators, she got the idea one year when we were planning a girl scout event that had different challenges for families. Dugganators to her meant "As long as we are doing it together we will survive!"

One thing that I have made a priority with my family is to make sure all 3 kids get the one on one time they love as well as family activities that do not cost but are fun and something to look forward too.
One of our new family activities:

Sunday night pedicures, even hubby and the boy get involved in this fun! When Drew was describing to his friends one day that he probably has the softest feet at school he got two reactions.
1. I want your mom to do a pedicure on me!
2. That's weird

Luckily both reactions made him laugh as he told me. The "That's weird" boy must have never had a pedicure so doesn't know what he is missing! heh.


My mission in my family is to not let us grow apart. I want the kids to depend on each other for advice, fun, and comfort just like they would on friends or us as their parents. I want when they get older to really want to hang out, not just because they are family.

Ever since they were little I would have them roll down the window and say goodbye to their brother/sister as they were walking into school and remind them daily to do so. Now they do it on their own and the one that is having the goodbye said to them will wait for it with a big smile and a wave and telling who is ever near "That's my brother/sister!"

I didn't have this unity with my brother growing up. I remember him being mean and hurtful and embarrassed of me. Now that we are older that has changed some but I still have deep down feelings of fear of him. I got to see him for the first time in awhile and he has 4 children of his own now and is a fantastic father and I wish I could have seen that side of him more when we were growing up.





:)

No comments: